Thursday, January 21, 2010

Twenty Ten Twenty Sumpthin'


To My Peoples:

looking back i realize there's been a bit of a hiatus on my blog. its natural. people ebb and flow at different rates and flows. what do we have but blips of isolated experience anyway?

even now, i find myself day dream-wandering through reflections of my time in beijing; suddenly thrown back into a mist-coated memory by the smell of wet dust, or street-meat cart smoke or the appearance of yinsanr on a playlist. daily interactions easily fall prey to full on hallucinations; the universe inside of my head expanding like the big bang, an untethered astronaut reaching out to hold on to names places and faces. conversations with fungwah bus drivers became slipstreams into pocket dimensions. Waking life pursued unique trajectories—coaching, substitute teacher applications, and a move to New York passing by like obscure satellites in deep space.

...my camera became broke around the same time I did. after a year of rugged use, two repairs, electric shock, and a sizeable dent from police abuse in boston, it finally kicked the bucket. when time travelin', be sure to hold on to your things.
i soon after played a paparazzi in a scene in a movie, given to shoot a prop camera with all the functioning parts but the film, sporting an early summer look in a late autumn chilly drizzle. no doubt it was entertaining work, but a certain twinge did creep up my spine as i returned the functionless camera to the table. next time, i’ll bring a roll of film.
At the same time I am very thankful for the time that I have been forced to see without a camera, in that it has allowed me to exercise my sense of sight, unaided. reflection is a necessary part of the process--but so is production. i mean, what do we leave to the world but that which we create?

So, here i am, re-camera-ed and ready for the new decade.

Peace peace in '10

1 comments:

Sean said...

"when time travelin', be sure to hold on to your things." haha love that dude... love it

keep wordin' Jam... meantime I'll be working on my 'I-self contribution'

SWK